1 October 2013

I've got it Bad.


You've probably heard of Breaking Bad. You've probably watched it and you might even have finished it; the finale aired on Sunday in America. If you have, then no spoilers please!
If you haven't heard of it, it's a series which begins with Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher, being diagnosed with lung cancer and teaming up with a former student to cook crystal meth and earn money to help his family when he dies. It sounds pretty simple but it's so much more than that. It's full of twists and turn, subplots and minor characters who are really anything but minor and the most simultaneously sympathetic and utterly loathsome main character I've come across. (I am only beginning season 5 though so I am prepared for my sympathy to completely disappear by the end of it.)

During my Masters, I was very dedicated and stayed away from TV for the most part (I distracted myself in other ways, of course, but it makes me sound good to say that) so I missed Breaking Bad. As soon as my thesis was handed in, I fired up Netflix, hit play and here we are. Less than two weeks later and I'm about to embark on the fifth and final season. It's basically an addiction, though far less dangerous and better for your teeth than crystal meth. I think about how to fit Breaking Bad into my day, eschewing essential tasks just to squeeze in a little more, staying up every night for 'just one more episode'.

Being late to the bandwagon has its advantages; you can watch everything at once instead of waiting a week between episodes, which is excellent with a show like this which consistently leaves you hanging; when you reach a part everyone was talking about you feel like you've finally got the joke and, if you need it, there'll be someone out there who's seen it who you can talk to about it. However, it's not without drawbacks! I've had to blacklist every Breaking Bad related word I can think of to prevent spoilers on Tumblr and going online is fraught with the fear that someone has posted vital clues as to what's going to happen.
So, I'm binge watching it for a lot of reasons; it's amazing, I NEED TO KNOW how it ends ASAP, I'm terrified it will be ruined for me before I see it for myself and I'm going away on Thursday so I must finish it before then because I can't wait until I come back to see it end.

So, if you need me, I'll be in Albuquerque for the next little while, hoping Walt Jr just gets to eat breakfast happily for the rest of his life and secretly wishing it ends with Walter going to Witness Protection and starting Malcolm in the Middle...

Did you watch Breaking Bad? What did you think? And what on earth are you going to use to fill the void now it's gone?!

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm the only person that hasn't watched any of it or knows what it's about! I think I've been missing out!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anything is ever going to fill the void :( Such an amazing show. I'm now looking for a new series to follow, but nothing else has been matching up so far... any suggestions for series? x x

    www.curiouser-and-curiouser.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good, wasn't it?! My all-time favourite show is The Wire which I'd recommend to anyone, I love it! I've also just finished Orange is the New Black which was excellent as well; I'm already excited for season 2 xx

      Delete