2 January 2014

Hello, 2014.

Image source

So if you saw my previous post, you'll see that 2013 didn't end on the happiest of notes for me. I saw out the year feeling like I hadn't really achieved much, that the whole year was a big expanse of nothingness and, at 23, I feel like I can't have another year like that.
I'm not naive enough to think that waking up on the first day of 2014 will suddenly undo all the rubbish that 2013 brought, but I do know that without putting more effort into this whole life thing I'm not going to get very far at all.
So, in order to  at least get close to having a great yet, I've set myself some goals. I don't know about resolutions exactly, as I feel that once you definitely promise to do something it immediately adds an extra dimension of pressure and if you don't manage to keep to all your resolutions then you've failed- and I know I can't take any more feelings of failure this coming year! My goals are also quite big and vague, rather than having a really specific and narrow aims as I think they work best for me.
Anyway, here are my goals, and I hope working towards them will make 2014 a better and brighter year for me.

  • Get a job: This could prove to be the most difficult of all my aims as it also relies on some outside factors and I can't control it as much as other things. However, to up my chances of success I'm going to push myself to apply for things that I would usually turn away from out of fear and throw my heart and soul into job hunting and applications. Hopefully this means that I'll land a job soon enough, and not that I'll just end up with more rejection emails than usual!
  • Stop doubting myself: I let my low self-image hold me back. It stops me applying for jobs because I immediately think I won't get them. It stops me asking people to hang out because what if they say no?! It makes me question my relationship and it sometimes really makes me question my self-worth. Heck, it even stops me wearing clothes and make up that I love for fear of judgement from other people. It really needs to stop.
    One of my mantras last year was 'Other people ain't shit' and when I was rocking a red lipstick or wearing my favourite dress it really helped me feel confident and just stop giving a damn about what other people thought and it was so liberating. I just need to extend the motto to other areas of my life and know that I am swell as I am.
    (I don't mean that I am not going to care about other people in 2014, just that I won't let their negative opinions hold me back or erode the good feelings I have towards myself.)
  • Look after myself: I have not been the kindest to my body recently, and Christmas exacerbates the feeling of treating your body badly. I'm going to drink more water, go outside and get more fresh air, move around more and generally get my body feeling as great as I can by the end of the year and beyond. I have come on leaps and bounds in accepting my body in 2013 but I know just treating it better will really up my good feelings about it.
    I'm also going to moisturise more, be better about getting my hair cut and using face masks, exfoliate my body more regularly and generally do lots of fun things that leave me feeling great.
    I also want to make an effort with my mental health too, making sure I do things that are good for me mentally and emotionally. I want to do things that make me happy and leave me with lots of positivity. I want to take every opportunity to make myself happy, whether that's something like painting my nails, calling someone for a chat or writing everything out in my diary (which I also aim to keep updated throughout the year)
    Hopefully looking after all areas of my health will mean I reach 2015 feeling absolutely great about myself!
That's my three overarching goals of 2014. I also have some smaller and more concrete things that I want to do, including:
  • Go to the cinema alone at least once
  • Have at least £500 in my savings account
  • Keep practising my German so I don't lose the skills I have
  • Really cement my winged liner skills
  • Visit somewhere new, preferably outside of the UK if possible
  • Read more books, watch more films and listen to more new music
So there you have my main goals for the coming year. Hopefully this time next year I'll be telling you about how I achieved them all!

Do you have any goals for 2014?

1 comment:

  1. Happy new year lovely, I hope this year brings you a lot of happiness! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete