27 January 2014

The Book Buying Tag

Look at this perfect creation! You can get one here.
I could talk about books forever and stumbling across the BookTube community is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me. One of my new favourite BookTubers is Megan Olivier, who created this tag and after seeing it on Jennie's blog (quite a while ago, but I am lazy!) I thought I'd give it a bash too.

Where do you buy your books from? Anywhere and everywhere! I can never resist popping into any bookshop that I pass and I regularly visit charity shops as well to see what I can find there. I've also made a relatively recent online discovery in The Book Depository which has free delivery and often has some older covers to choose from too, which I think is great.
I love the atmosphere in bookshops and love browsing around and stumbling across something new. I try and support bookstores as much as I can, especially after the wonderful Books Are My Bag campaign reinforced their importance, and I do try and pick up books from a shop rather than online.

Do you ever pre-order books? I have never pre-ordered a book before. I don't really keep myself up to date with new releases, unless it's a continuation of a series I've been reading, so I just pick up books as and when I find them.

On average, how many books do you buy a month? I don't really know. It's probably 2 a month on average, but in December I took full advantage of my staff discount card at Waterstone's and bought myself 12 books, which is definitely the most I've ever bought in such a short period of time!
I also volunteer at Oxfam and often when I'm sorting out the bookshelves I'll put a few aside for myself if they catch my eye.

Do you use your local library? Sadly I don't really have a local library. I hope that when I move away this will change and I'll be able to take advantage of and support a library.

What do you think of libraries? I think they're wonderful! They're a great way to get books and I love how lots of them hold events and have a real sense of community surrounding them. When I was younger a mobile library van used to come to my area every few weeks and I loved going there and picking out more books.

How do you feel about charity shop and secondhand books? I love them! It's great coming across an unexpected gem that you may never have heard of before, as well as books you've wanted to read for a fraction of the price. I am a little bit fussy though, and I sometimes wouldn't take a book with scribbles all over the cover, but I am getting better!

Do you keep your read and to-be-read books together? I keep my to-be-read books on the top shelf of my bookcase, but there's so many that they've been double-stacked and have started to encroach on other shelves as well! I really must take myself in hand and sort my shelves out.

Do you plan to read all the books you own? Definitely. I'm really trying not to buy any more books now as I have so many left to read and nowhere to put them. I have a lot of free time now too, so I'm trying to utilise it productively and read more. I'm doing the Goodreads Challenge this year too, so hopefully that will help clear the book backlog!

What do you do with books you own that you won't reread? I currently do nothing with them, but I'm planning to go on a bit of a blitz across my entire room and I hope to tackle my bookshelves. I'm going to donate some books that I won't read again, but there are some books I loved that I may not reread but would still like to keep. I also plan to sell my university textbooks for a little bit of spare cash, so they'll be useful in some way!

Have you ever donated books? I have in the past and I plan to do a lot more in the near future so I can help out some charity shops, and hopefully other people will also find a new book they'll love.

Have you ever been on a book-buying ban? Not really, but I have gone through periods, especially while I was at university, when I haven't bought books for a long time. I think I am going to have to have to exercise some self-control for a while though, until I read some more of the books that are piling up. I'm also supposed to be saving up for the future (scary) so buying anything will have to take a bit of a back seat for now.

Do you think you own too many books? Well, as the picture above might indicate, I don't think there's such a thing as too many books. There may be too little space for the books I have, but that's another matter!
Books and what I find within them can keep me company, entertain me, break my heart, make me learn something, help me meet new people and visit new places and change the way I see and think about things and to me that's worth having a few cluttered shelves.

Let me know if you decide to do this tag, or just drop me a comment and talk to me about books! You can also be my friend on Goodreads if you want to see how I do with my reading challenge this year.



11 comments:

  1. What a great tag - I love a good read too, although last year I pretty much didn't read anything which is a shame but trying to get right back on track this year. I've added you on goodreads - I get a bit nosey to see what other people are reading and liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I definitely haven't been reading enough so I hope to change that this year. Yay, new book-reading friends are always welcome :) xx

      Delete
  2. The booktube community is the best! Loved reading your answers <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it! It's just so lovely and I love discovering people with the same taste in books. Thank you :) xx

      Delete
  3. I always try to get books from independent bookshops, I'd hate it if Amazon was the only place to buy books from- I love browsing shelves of actual real books! and I too am trying to read all the books i own before getting any new ones, its so so hard tho and Ive already got my eye on Geek Love by Katherine Dunn! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, it's just so nice to spend time picking out your next read. I definitely need to stop, although a new book somehow made its way to me this morning... I actually got Geek Love in December while working in Waterstones, it looks so strange but interesting xx

      Delete
  4. Maaaan I love reading, really need to make more of an effort to spend less time procrastinating on Twitter and more time reading books! Nothing beats a lovely wee bookshop.
    This has also reminded me I need to get myself a library card for the local library now my uni one has expired (wah!). x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just waste so much time when I could be lost in a good book. xx

      Delete
  5. I may have to join you on this tag - such a cute idea! I absolutely love second hand and charity books. I have a collection of hardback, canvas covered Arthur Ransome books, all from charity shops, and they're so much nicer for being old and having that vintagey smell!
    lily x
    www.jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great tag, isn't it! I love talking about books so it suited me well! That collection sounds beautiful; I love finding older versions of books with alternative covers in second hand shops xx

      Delete
  6. I forgot to tell you that I did this the other day! Thanks for sharing :)

    http://emslf.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/the-book-buying-tag/

    ReplyDelete