3 March 2014

The Goodreads Tag

Image source
I spotted this tag on Rachael's blog and thought I'd give it a go. I've been using Goodreads for years but I was a bit lax for a while and didn't use it regularly. Recently I've been making a more concerted effort to use it properly and it's really cool to see everything I read add up. I especially like how you can see how much of the book you've read as you update your status; if you're struggling it can help motivate you to finish something off.

1)What was the last book you marked as read? The last book I finished was Tampa by Alissa Nutting and I awarded it four stars. It's quite dark and definitely wouldn't be to everyone's taste; it's about a female teacher, Celeste Price, who harbours tendencies towards 14 year old boys and begins an affair with one of her students. I really enjoyed it but it was definitely a challenging read and made me feel very uncomfortable as Celeste literally preyed on her students and strove to get what she wanted, no matter the consequences.

2)What are you currently reading? I'm reading Lamb by Bonnie Nadzam. Like Tampa, it's also about inappropriate relationships between adults and children, but this time it's an older man and younger girl. I'm only about 70 pages in so far but I'm enjoying it.

3)What was the last book you marked as to be read? I bought Pete In Cold Blood by Truman Capote for a little Valentine's gift and decided I wanted to read it too. It's about a true-life murder which takes place in 1959 and Truman Capote examines the crime and the trial. My mum often says it's her favourite book too so I'd like to read it.
4)What book do you plan on reading next? I have no idea. Over Christmas I bought 12 books from work with my 50% discount and I'm so excited to read all of them, but I also have two shelves of books that I've been meaning to read for a long time so I feel I should go for one of those next.

5)Do you use the star rating system? Yes. I do wish it had half stars though, as that would make everything much easier!

6)Are you doing a 2014 Reading Challenge? I am indeed; I'm aiming to read 30 books this year and so far I've completed 8 so I'm well on track to make my target by the end of the year. I'm a few books ahead of schedule as well so I can afford to take on a few longer books as well which is good.

7)Do you have a wishlist? According to Amazon there are 51 books on my wishlist and to be honest that number could easily grow by the day. It also doesn't include any books I just happen to see in passing and buy in the spot, which happens far too often. 

8)What book are you planning to buy next? None of them! I'm trying to be very strict and not buy any more books for a long time. I am really hoping to move out this year so I don't want to add even more books that need to be moved out later on.

9)Do you have any favourite quotations? Would you like to share a few? I assume this means book-related quotations; that's what I'm interpreting it as anyway. One about books that I really love comes from Douglas Coupland

“I think that every reader on earth has a list of cherished books as unique as their fingerprints....I think that, as you age, you tend to gravitate towards the classics, but those aren't the books that give you the same sort of hope for the world that a cherished book does.” 

This one from The History Boys by Alan Bennett is great as well

“The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - that you’d thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you’ve never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it’s as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.” 

10)Who are you favourite authors? I love Jeffrey Eugenides. He's only written three books but I've enjoyed all of them. His most famous is The Virgin Suicides but I much prefer Middlesex and The Marriage Plot (which I reviewed here.) I think I'd even go as far as to say Middlesex is my favourite book ever, but don't hold me to that!
I also love Douglas Coupland, John Irving and John Ajvide Lindqvist too. There's definitely more that I've forgotten but these were the first that popped into my head.

11)Have you joined any groups? The only one I'm a member of is the Rory Gilmore Book Club because I aspire to be her. It lists all the books she read throughout the entire Gilmore Girls run, and I want to read as many of them as possible.

12)Do you have any questions you'd like to add? None that I can think of, but I am always available for book related questions; I could talk about books forever!

You can add me on Goodreads here!

1 comment:

  1. Yey for the tag - I do enjoy reading people's answers to this tag. In Cold Blood sounds like a book i'll have to track down, I love a good vintage murder story!

    ReplyDelete