2 December 2015

Going Cruelty Free


Image source

Recently I've been analysing the choices that I've been making and their impact on the world around me.
One of the main decisions I’ve made after some evaluation is to stop purchasing make up that’s been tested on animals. Simply put, I can't justify the pain of animals for something so frivolous and unnecessary (patriarchal expectations of female beauty aside, and that’s a story for another day)

The things that cosmetic animal testing involves are hard to stomach.  Equally hard to justify is the fact that it's not remotely necessary anymore and has its limitations so it's not even that useful. The EU has banned cosmetics testing in all its member states and New Zealand instigated a ban this year, and it's great to see . Companies that state they only test on animals ‘where required by law’ really mean ‘we want to sell our products in China', where animal testing is mandatory. I don’t know about you, but the thought of testing mascara on animals purely to earn more money is pretty difficult for me to support.

It hasn’t been entirely easy to find out what brands I can continue (or start) to buy from. I’ve been researching various companies and their ethos before I spend my money with them. One of the main issues is where a brand is owned by a parent company. This is especially true in the case of The Body Shop and Urban Decay, who are both cruelty free but both owned by L’Oreal. The Body Shop especially is renowned for campaigning against animal testing, but L’Oreal continues to test on animals. Although I've heard rumours that money spent at The Body Shop doesn’t go to L’Oreal, I’ll be steering away from this one because I’m just not sure how much I believe them… Nestle are also a main shareholder in L’Oreal and I categorically do not want any of my pennies going in their pockets!

Luckily, some brands I already love, such as Barry M and Soap and Glory, are cruelty free, and Superdrug’s own range is great for toiletries. I’m also excited to dive into some new ranges that I haven’t properly tried before, like Illamasqua and Pixi. There’s been some surprises as to what I can use too- for some reason I was sure Bare Minerals and Charlotte Tilbury would test on animals but now I know they don’t I’ll probably be giving them a try very soon.

I’m not here to judge anyone who buys tested makeup because that’s obviously a jerk move, but for me there's no excuse to continue to sanction cruelty.
One bonus I’ve found is that I can’t always take advantage of the offers Boots and Superdrug run, and I’ve noticed a marked decline in the amount of makeup I’ve accrued this year which is great for my bulging makeup bag.
I’ll be honest- I’m not going to throw out the make-up I already own that isn’t cruelty free because I just can’t afford to replace it all in one go. However, anything I finish up that is tested on animals I won’t repurchase and anything new I buy will be cruelty free.
I’m looking forward to exploring new brands and products and finding new staples and dupes to replace my current items (if anyone has a good cruelty free dupe for Double Wear then please send it my way!) 

There’s still a lot of research for me to do and I’ll probably need to draw up a list of brands I can buy from to help keep myself right, but to me it’s becoming increasingly important to make purchases that only damage my bank balance and not the world around me.

What cruelty free products do you love?
You can find more information on going cruelty free here and a useful infographic here.

No comments:

Post a Comment